Skip to main content

Vikings

The next season of the TV series Vikings is nearly here. 

And, it reminds me of my family history research.

Someone traced my family tree back to the brother, Sigurd, that Ivar killed in Vikings. 

I don't know if it's been verified or not! 

So, I don't know if it's true or not! 

I just find it interesting that someone could trace a family line back to Ragnar and his sons whether it's true or not. 

So, it makes it a bit eerily to watch, especially Ragnar's sons do battle. 

But then, if I wasn't interested in my family history, I would never have known and followed the breadcrumbs that someone left in tracing it back to them. Whether it was a true or false claim. 

It just leaves me to wonder. 

And, it makes history even more fascinating to me cause of all the ancestors that I stumble across. And, I want to learn about the kind of lives that they might have led.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Private Walter Lindley: A Soldier, Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Brother-in-Law

The life of Private Walter Lindley was cut short when it abruptly ended in the killing fields of Flanders amidst the ‘Third Battle of Ypres’, now acknowledged as ’Passchendaele’, in 1917. [1] The same year World War One broke out, 1914, he married, his first daughter was born, and his brother died on the Western Front. He was one of more than 330,000 volunteers who served in the Australian Imperial Force (AIF) overseas resulting in over 61,000 deaths. [2] Amongst other reasons, he likely volunteered for the patriotic cause. Some photos and postcards survived and in addition to his war records, they underpinned his life in the AIF. Walter was born between 1892-1894 in Balby, Doncaster, Yorkshire, England to John Lindley and Adelaide Lewis. [3] When he was about seven years, his father died. [4] In 1910, he enlisted in the British Navy and about three years later he did a runner in Sydney. [5] The next year, Sarah Lovett became his wife, in Port Melbourne. [6] Then within six

The Disappearance of William Empey. Content Warning: Death and Disturbing Content

The fire crackled. Water bubbled to the boil. Bacon and eggs waffled through the weatherboard house on the corner of Villeneuve and Downey Streets in Alexandra. Modern Day Villeneuve Street, Alexandra ‘Dad, your breakfast is ready,’ hollered Lily. ‘Come, sit down, and eat it whilst it’s hot!’ ‘I’m comin’’, William said. ‘It smells delish. Can you take some money to the post office to send to your mother?’ ‘Today, yes I can.’ She placed the money in her apron pocket. At seven 7 o’clock, he grabbed his coat and hat. He stuffed his dinner in his coat pocket and picked up his billy. ‘Bye, Lily,’ he called out. ‘Bye, dad,’ she said, as she came running to the door. She kissed him bye. Outside, the smell of smoke drifted up his nostrils. On the other side of the Ultima Thule Creek, the quartz crusher loomed over the town. Its mechanical arms heaved up and down. Something caught his eye. Blooming Heck! That pesky goat has gotten out again , he thought. I don’t want